At Jericho Primary School, we are mathematicians! We want our children to love maths. We want them to have no limits to their ambitions and grow up wanting to be research mathematicians, engineers and bankers . We want our core values to be represented in our children: achievement, adventure, respect, and creativity. We all believe that: “We are growing the hearts and minds of today to build the communities of tomorrow,” and the ambition of our children embodies this ideal. The maths curriculum has been carefully shaped, to ensure they can make sense of the world around them through developing their ability to calculate, reason and solve problems. Mathematics is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment. A high-quality mathematics education therefore provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics, and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject. We aim to support children to achieve economic well-being and equip them with a range of computational skills and the ability to solve problems in a variety of contexts so that maths is a vehicle to enable them to access the wider world.
At Jericho Primary School, WE ARE MATHEMATICIANS!
- Our maths curriculum promotes mastery in maths so that all children acquire a deep and sustained understanding of maths concepts, structures and procedures.
- Our inspiring, ambitious, high quality maths curriculum provides the foundations for mastery by embracing a Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract (C-P-A) approach, avoiding overload, building on prior learning and supporting children to see patterns and connections. This approach creates and nurtures positive attitudes, confidence and competence with mathematical problems.
- We want to equip our children with not only the minimum statutory requirements of the maths National Curriculum but to prepare them for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life. Maths is especially crucial to the prosperity of our own local, national, and global community. Maths is vital to our local economy and has changed, and continues to change, our lives forever. In building the communities of tomorrow, our skilful teaching and learning in maths plays a key role in ensuring our success.
- All pupils should be inspired and challenged to develop an understanding and hierarchy of knowledge and skills within maths and build these sequentially and progressively to support children in successfully achieving their end points. Each step builds on the previous learning steps and interweaves prior content with new concepts, which helps children to grasp the links between topics and to understand them more deeply, moving learning forward from novice to expert.
- Through innovative and creative teaching and learning, where all children are nurtured, known well, and encouraged in their interests and passions by their teachers, pupils will grow and develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- Through a range of mathematical enquiries, children will be able reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language. In addition to this, they will be able to solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
At Jericho, children study mathematics daily following the White Rose Maths (WRM) Scheme of Learning. WRM is a blocked scheme, which allows for depth and breadth of learning within each strand of mathematics